Best Standing Desks of 2017
Last Updated August 2nd, 2017
What are the different types of standing desks?
Standing desks are desks that adjust to different heights so you can work sitting or standing. There are desks that adjust manually, usually with a hand crank, or via an electric motor. Electric desks usually includes a keypad that you can program to preferred standing and sitting height, and sometimes include presets for more than one user.
There are also standing desk converters, which are units that you place on top of your existing desk, that will give you the option of standing while working.
Table of Contents
How we chose the top standing desks
We’ve tested dozens of desks and narrowed our list down to our top 5 based on a long testing process.
Our first step is we spend hundreds of hours reading customer reviews and watching videos on every adjustable standing desk that we can find. We narrow our list to candidates that have the potential to be in our best standing desk list.
Next we start ordering desks and all of the members of our staff and our volunteers use the desks as much as possible. Our staff and volunteers are both male and female, and are of different ages and sizes. They evaluate the standing desks based on 16 criteria:
- Ergonomics: The greatest benefits of using a standing desk are that your productivity, mood, and energy levels go up. That’s because you’re now moving from sitting to standing throughout the day, and the desk is comfortable and easy to use. Many people start using adjustable standing desks because they want to reduce leg, neck, back, and/or wrist pain. For moer information check out our guide to proper sitting and standing ergonomics.
- Adjustability: It’s recommended that you switch from sitting to standing a few times per hour, and if the desk is difficult to adjust, people tend to stay sitting.
- User reviews: Discussed above, this is how we choose our desks that we’re going to try out.
- Quality: We pay attention to the materials used and the quality of the construction.
- Aesthetics: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are some standing desks that most will agree are good looking and others that aren’t!
- Customer service: This will be important usually only when ordering, dealing with delivery, repairs, or returns.
- Assembly: Most standing desk converters, such as the Varidesk Pro Plus 36, require no assembly, as they come out of the box and you put them on your existing desk. But if you buy a full standing desk, you will have to at least attach the legs to the tabletop, and often a cable management tray and other items.
- Stability: One of the most important criteria for a standing desk is how much wobbling occurs when the desk is at standing height.
- Speed of height adjustment: Measured in inches/second, the higher quality desks tend to switch faster.
- Noise level: The noise of the motor when adjusting is measured in decibels. If you work in a quiet office this may be an important factor.
- Shipping: Some desks can take up to 8 weeks to arrive after you order them! And some arrive in separate shipments, which can be inconvenient.
- Overall feel: Outside of ergonomics, certain desks are more comfortable to use than others. For example, the tabletop may have rounded edges which most people prefer to hard edges.
- Surface area: Some desks have more space on the desktop than others; remember to look at the dimensions to make sure that your desk will fit in the space that you have to work in.
- Lift capacity: If you have a lot of items on your desk, this can be important. There is a wide range for standing desks, we’ve seen as low as 20 lbs and as high as 360 lbs!
- Warranty: Standing desk companies tend to have longer and better warranties when they sell high quality standing desks.
- Overall value: This is our “score” for the desk, where we compare the quality of the desk with it’s price. If we rated purely on quality, our top 5 would be dominated by desks that start at over $1,000 and go as high as $5,000. Our #1 choice, the Jarvis, starts at under $500.
We also have our testers take notes on any unique benefits or issues with a desk, such as grommet holes built into the tabletop so you can run wires through it (which is agreat feature by the way).
Why standing desks?
As more people are learning about the dangers of extended periods of sitting, more people are looking for the best standing desk. Many users experience a wide range of benefits from moving more while they work, which usually involved switching from sitting to standing every 20 minutes (depending on their comfort level).
The most common benefits are:
- Increased productivity
- Better mood
- Higher energy levels
- Reduced back and neck pain
- Weight loss
Why you should listen to us
We’re standing desk nerds. Over the past few years, we’ve spent thousands of hours using many different adjustable desks, reading reviews, watching videos, and communicating with manufacturers, so you don’t have to.
Buyers can easily get overwhelmed with so many choices as more companies are getting into the standing desk space.
The top standing desks of 2017
Startstanding.org is supported by it’s readers. If you purchase any products from this page, our educational website will receive a small commission from the Amazon.com and/or other affiliate programs, which will help cover our costs, and doesn’t affect your price.