Best Treadmills Under $500
Our research is supported by our readers. We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Treadmills are a great way to get a workout when you can’t walk or run outside, or when going to the gym isn’t a good option. Plus a good treadmill will reduce the strain on your joints.
There’s a wide range of prices for treadmills. Buying a treadmill for under $500 usually means you’ll only be able to walk on it for short periods, it won’t have many options (such as workout programs to follow), and there’s a 90 day warranty (with a likelihood of it breaking down afterwards). We did a lot of research and testing and found a few gems that will keep you within your budget.
All of our choices under $500 are folding treadmills. Each has a tethered safety key, wheels on the bottom when it’s folded to be able to move it, and most of them require very little assembly.
Guidelines for Buying a Treadmill Under $500
Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a treadmill:
1. For treadmills under $500 the motors aren’t designed to be used for long periods of time at high speeds. These treadmills have at max a 2.25 HP motor, which is good for this price range, but are designed for walking. Jogging requires a 2.5 CHP, and running 3.0. If you want treadmill that can handle running for long periods of time, you’ll need to start looking in a higher price range. If you buy one of these treadmills and you plan on doing long periods of jogging and running, you’re taking a chance with burning out the motor.
2. CHP motors (continuous horsepower) are higher quality motors for treadmills, as compared to HP (horsepower).
3. Running requires a longer track (50″), especially if you have longer legs.
4. It’s hard to find a warranty longer than 90 days in this price range, though we found a few.
5. Measure the space you have for your treadmill, and if you’ll be moving it, where you’ll store it. And if you’ll be moving it into another room, check the dimensions to see if it will fit through the doorway without having to disassemble it.