Bike While Working
There are lots of ways to keep moving while you work: standing at your desk, using a treadmill desk, using a bike desk, or using an under-desk bike. Also called under-desk cycles, these are pedals that you can slide under your desk while working.
Under-desk bikes can help keep your blood flowing and burn calories while you work, watch tv, or any time that you're sitting. They can also be used by grabbing onto the pedals and working out your arms, and the units can be used in reverse as well to work different muscles. Arthritis sufferers also report that it reduces joint pain in their arms and legs.
Types of Bikes Used With a Desk
When it comes to cycling while you work, there are many options. Here are the common types:
- Independent Under-Desk Bike - This is a separate unit from your chair and desk. It is essentially a set of pedals a base and a screen. These are the most cost-effective and work with nearly any existing desk of standard height. These are very portable and can be used whenever you're seated.
- Bike and Chair combination - Bike and chair combinations are great because the unit includes a place to sit which makes your pedaling very efficient and more like riding a normal bike. These, however, pair best with a standing desk due to the generally higher seating position.
- Bike Desk - Bike desks are an all-in-one device that allows you to work and pedal. Think of a stationary bike with a small work surface for a computer. If your budget allows this is one of the best ways to stay active while working.
Our team reviewed many under-desk bikes spanning a variety of types, price-points and manufacturers. Ultimately we made our top choices based on the following factors:
- Overall Value - value for money is one of the most important factors for us when recommending a product.
- Resistance Range - for any kind of bike that simulates resistance it's important to have options.
- Display - Nearly all under-desk bikes have displays but some show more and include more features to configure.
- Construction - with the force being applied to your under desk bike it's important that is has a substantial feel and stays in place.
- Noise - as many of us will be using our under-desk bike in a work setting, it's really important that is operates quietly.
In addition to our own research we also consulted an expert on cycling and getting the correct geometry with your pedaling and seating position. Under-desk bike crank arms tend to be shorter than on a conventional bike(mostly to allow use under a desk). This means each rotation of the bike will be smaller than what you may be used if you frequently ride a normal bike.
Best Under-Desk Bikes
Flexispot Bike Desk
Best All-In-One Bike Desk
- Super unique all-in-one bike, chair, and desk make the Flexispot Bike Desk one of the best options around for staying active while you work.
- Includes padded armrests for comfortable typing while leaning forward
- 8 Resistance settings
- LCD screen to track distance and calories burned
- Height and forward and back adjustment desktop surface
- Height adjustable seat
- Quick assembly
Best Value Under-Desk Bike
- 10″ pedal height which will work with desks at a 27″ height
- Industry leader with the most positive reviews
- Display shows speed, time, and distance; online calorie calculator on website shows calories burned
- Beautiful design
- Magnetic resistance is smooth and quiet
- 8 calibrated resistance settings-double of many competitors
- 1 year warranty on parts, labor, and shipping
& Fitness SF-B0418
Best Value Runner Up
- 8 level micro tension controller
- LCD displays speed, time, calories, distance, & ODM,
- Maximum user weight of 220 lbs
- Nice design for a competitive price
- Convenient built-in carrying handle
- Unit is a little taller (14″) than the DeskCycle and will require a taller desk (unless you’re using a standing desk)
Vive Pedal Exerciser
- 12.5″ pedal height
- LCD screen shows RPM, time, speed, distance and calories burned
- 1 year guarantee
- Non-slip feet keep the unit from moving
- Built-in carrying handle
- Over 60% cheaper than the DeskCycle
Vaunn Foot Pedaler
Best Budget Runner Up
- Quick-release folding mechanism for easy storage and transport
- Digital LCD monitor shows exercise time, revolution count, revolution per minute and calories burned
- 7.6″ pedal height is the lowest of our top choices which is great for shorter desks
- Has non-slip rubber feet that prevent it from moving
|Model||Pedal Height||Resistance Settings||Price|
|Vive||12.5"||Infinite within range||$60|
|Vaunn||7.5"||Infinite within range||$50|