Best Chairs & Stools for Standing Desks
What is Standing Desk Stool?
A standing desk stool, also known as a standing desk chair, is a type of seating that is often paired with a sit to stand desk. It allows you to rest in a position between sitting and standing. Many avid standers appreciate the third option other than standing and sitting while working at their desk. There are also other options like kneeling chairs that can compliment a standing desk as well.
If you'd like to learn more about standing stools and chairs, what to look for and the various types, check our in-depth guide: Buyer's Guide to Standing Chairs and Stools
Why get a Standing Desk Stool?
- More Options - Simply having another position to choose from is one of the main benefits of getting a standing stool or chair. Changing positions frequently is one of the keys to staying active at your desk and avoiding pain and soreness.
- Reduced Pressure on Your Joints - Leaning takes a lot of pressure off your feet, knees and spine without the increased lower back stress of sitting. It's a great middle ground.
- Less Sitting Time - As more people become aware of the risks of excessive sitting a leaning stool or chair can significantly reduce your time spent sitting. While it burns less calories than standing free, you're still getting the majority of the benefit over sitting.
Our Criteria and Testing Process
Our team spent several weeks testing chairs and stools in our own offices to provide unbiased reviews so that you can figure out which chair or stool will work best for you. Here's our criteria and what we've found to important when considering a standing desk stool or chair.
- Stability - Most leaning chairs and tools have single tube supporting the seat. With the high pressure applied when leaning it's important for the stool to be stable and confidence inspiring.
- Height adjustment - Just like the standing desks these are often paired with you will want to adjust the height to your exact posture needs.
- Seat Comfort - fairly self explanatory, we look for seat surfaces that are forgiving and ergonomic.
- Design A little subjective but design matters. There is a very wide variety in design and quality in the standing chair and stool space. Some are very bold statements and others more generic.
- Quality - What is the fit and finish like? Is it going to last? What areas, if any, are likely to fail with continued use?We ask ourselves these questions whne reviewing any product.
- Overall Value Value is always very important us. Or definition of value is getting the most benefit from the stool or chair for money spent.
Best Chairs and Stools for Standing Desks 2018
More Resources on Leaning and Standing
If you're interested in leaning chairs and stools or standing desks in general, we encourage you to check out the following related resources:
- Proper Posture - Even with the use of a leaning chair you're likely to spend a decent amount of time standing and or sitting at your desk. Check out our guide on Proper Sitting & Standing Desk Ergonomics
- Preventing Back Pain - Standing and leaning will help back pain but there more you can do to help. Here's 17 things you can do to prevent back pain
- Avoid Common Mistakes - When you're just getting into standing or leaning it's easy to make a few mistakes. We've compiled a list of 10 common problems and what you can do to avoid them.
- Interested in Kneeling? - Our resident chiropractor Dr. RJ Burr lends his expertise on the cutting edge topic of kneeling and how it can benefit you and your spine.
If you have any questions, concerns or see something missing from our list of best chairs and stools for standing desks, please reach out via email or leave a comment below. We usually respond within 24 hours and are happy to help.
Startstanding.org is supported by it’s readers. If you purchase any products from this page, our educational website will receive a small commission from the Amazon.com and/or other affiliate programs, which will help cover our costs, and doesn’t affect your price.