What is Standing Desk Stool?
A standing desk stool, also known as a standing desk chair, is a type of seat that is often paired with a sit to stand desk. It allows you to rest in a position between sitting and standing. Many avid standers appreciate the third option aside from standing and sitting while working at their desk. There are also other options like drafting chairs, yoga balls and active sitting stools that that can compliment a standing desk as well.
If you'd like to learn more about standing stools and chairs, what to look for, and the various types, check our in-depth guide: Buyer's Guide to Standing Chairs and Stools
Standing desk stools are quickly gaining popularity among standers. Here are the main reasons people use standing desk stools:
- More Options - Simply having another position to choose from is one of the main benefits of getting a standing stool or chair. Changing positions frequently is one of the keys to staying active at your desk and avoiding pain and soreness.
- Reduced Pressure on Your Joints - Leaning takes a lot of pressure off your feet, knees, and spine without the increased lower back stress of sitting. It's a great middle ground.
- Less Sitting Time - As more people become aware of the risks of excessive sitting, a leaning stool or chair can significantly reduce your time spent in a chair. You are actively sitting to remain upright. While it burns fewer calories than standing, you're still getting the majority of the benefit over sitting.
Our team spent several weeks testing chairs and stools in our own offices to provide unbiased reviews so that you can decide which chair or stool will work best for you. Here are our criteria and what we've found to be important when considering a standing desk stool or chair.
- Stability - Most leaning chairs and tools have a single tube supporting the seat. With the high pressure applied when leaning, it's important for the stool to be stable and confidence-inspiring.
- Height Adjustment - Just like the standing desks these are often paired with, you will want to adjust the height to your exact posture needs.
- Seat Comfort - fairly self-explanatory, we look for seat surfaces that are forgiving and ergonomic.
- Design - This is a little subjective but design matters. We see a wide variety of design and quality in the standing chair and stool market. Some are very boldly designed and others are more generic.
- Quality - What is the fit and finish like? Is it going to last? What areas, if any, are likely to fail with continued use? We ask ourselves these questions when reviewing any product.
- Overall Value - Value is always very important to us. Our definition of value is getting the most benefit from the stool or chair for money spent.
Best Chairs and Stools for Standing Desks 2019
While we pick an overall top recommended stool, we realize that you may find one thing more important than another when shopping for a chair or stool for your desk. especially when it comes to standing desks, you can go in many different directions with your chair or stool. With this in mind, we have picked chairs and stools spanning multiple categories so you can choose which is best for you.
#1 – Varidesk
“Best Value Standing Desk Stool”
- A great stool for sitting or leaning made by Varidesk, the makers of many standing desk products
- Comes preassembled
- Solid construction
- Beautiful and simple design
- Works great for sitting and leaning
- Varidesk is one of the top standing desk companies with a stellar reputation and warranty
#2 – Songmics Stool
“Best Budget Standing Desk Stool”
- A less expensive option to the Varichair
- Designed specifically for leaning and active sitting
- Recommended for people taller than 5'1"
- Great customer service that stands by their products
- Innovative handles with more than one use
- 8 degree tilting seat and a generally large range of adjustment.
Use the table below to compare the stats of our top recommended chairs and stools. You may want to pay special attention to the minimum and maximum height range. Depending on whether you prefer leaning, sitting, or both, shop for a stool with a height range that will work for you and your needs.
If you're interested in leaning chairs and stools or standing desks in general, we encourage you to check out the following related resources:
- Proper Posture - Even with the use of a leaning chair you're likely to spend a decent amount of time standing or sitting at your desk. Check out our guide to Proper Sitting & Standing Desk Ergonomics
- Preventing Back Pain - Standing and leaning will help back pain but there is more you can do to help. Here are 17 things you can do to prevent back pain
- Avoid Common Mistakes - When you're just getting into standing or leaning it's easy to make a few mistakes. We've compiled a list of 10 common problems and what you can do to avoid them.
- Interested in Kneeling? - Our resident chiropractor Dr. RJ Burr lends his expertise on the cutting edge topic of kneeling and how it can benefit you and your spine.
If you have any questions, concerns or see something missing from our list of best chairs and stools for standing desks, please reach out via email or leave a comment below. We usually respond within 24 hours and are happy to help.