The Best Monitor Arms of 2018
What are Monitor Arms?
Monitors are great ergonomic office accessories that give you improved range of adjustment in positioning your screen for optimal comfort. They typically attach to the back of your desk with a screw down clamp. They are commonly available in 1, 2, 3 and even some options for 4 monitors. monitor arms make a great pairing with a standing desk where you are more likely to adjust your monitor position between sitting and standing.
Table of Contents
Why get Monitor Arms for your desk?
Single or dual desktop monitor arms serve 4 main functions:
- Get your monitors eye-level whether you're sitting, standing, or leaning, reducing the strain on your upper back, neck, and eyes.
- Open up space on your desktop.
- Save you time by keeping multiple browser windows or items open at the same time.
- Monitor several items at once such as stock market charts, security cams, or games.
Our Criteria for Selecting the Best Monitor Arms
Below you'll find that we arrived at our top choices by extensive testing and reviewing. All of the monitor arms that made it into our top choices have the following characteristics:
- Sturdy (the monitors don't wobble as you type).
- Move multidirectionally (up/down, forward/back, you can tilt the screen, and you can rotate the screens from vertical to horizontal.
- Most of the brands offer single as well as dual monitor arms.
- VESA compliant (the standard mounting surface for monitors, tvs, and other displays). So make sure your monitors are VESA compliant if you're going to purchase any of these monitor arms. Apple monitors aren't VESA compliant; you need to purchase an adapter (available on amazon).
Top Monitor Arms For 2018
We understand that you may be looking for something particular with your monitor arm setup. While some may be concerned with looks, others may be more budget conscious. Each shopper is different so we've decided to choose monitor arms based on the following categories:
Compare Top Monitor Arms 2018
Use the table below to compare out top choices for monitor arms. The max arm height, outward extension and arm capacity are the biggest things to consider when making a decision.
Stat definitions and tips:
- Max Arm Height (inches) - This is the max height that the arm will rise. This can be particularity important to you if you have a tall upper body, a desk that is lower than average or a non-adjustable height office chair. If these apply to you, you should seek a monitor arm that has a high max arm height.
- Max Outward Extension (inches) - This is the distance the monitor can extend forward from its base. If you have a very deep desk such as 40" or more in depth, you will likely want an arm that extends forward fairly far to compensate for the desk depth.
- Max Arm Capacity (pounds) - This is the maximum the arm is designed to support with stability. Monitor's arms are sprung with an intended weight in mind so consider the weight of your monitors when making a decision.
|Amazon Basics||13"||25"||25 lbs||$99|
|Fleximounts Arm||15.75"||20"||11 lbs||$39|
|Varidesk Dual||12"||29"||19.8 lbs||$195|
|Ergotron LX||13"||25"||25 lbs||$200|
|Loctek Stacking||23.5"||17.7"||19.8 lbs||$229|
Resources Related to Monitor Arms
Use the following resources when setting up your monitor arms to ensure good ergonomics and avoiding back or neck pain mistakes:
- Proper Workplace Ergonomics - when setting up your monitor arms, refer to this guide on how to properly position your body, your keyboard and your monitor to minimize stress on your back neck and joints.
- Preventing Back Pain - If you're looking for monitor arms there is a chance you're suffering from back or neck pain. Here are 17 things you can do to prevent it.
- Improving Your Posture - Monitor arms can help you improve or maintain a good posture, here are 31 more ways you can improve it.
- Understanding Back Pain and Sitting - Back pain is one of the most common complaints among Americans, especially those of us that spend considerable time at desk. Learn how sitting causes back pain and what you can do to correct it.
Startstanding.org is supported by it’s readers. If you purchase any products from this page, our educational website will receive a small commission from the Amazon.com and/or other affiliate programs, which will help cover our costs, and doesn’t affect your price.