Choosing an Alternative to Vari Converters
Note that Varidesk now goes by the company name of Vari.
The standing desk converter market is getting much more competitive and that is great for you as a buyer. While Varidesk makes excellent products, and has made a great name for themselves, there are some fantastic alternatives from new and established companies that we urge you to consider. Using our list, you may be able to find the perfect standing desk converter and save a little money while you’re at it.
In selecting our list of alternatives to Varidesk, we have chosen converters that deliver the pros and avoid the cons of Varidesk products at a lower or similar price point. Here's what we were looking for:
- Quality - Quality is a distinct characteristic of Varidesk products. If you're looking for an alternative, you still want a quality item.
- Stability - Some Varidesk designs can cause some stability issues, so we're looking for desks that generally perform a little better with stability.
- Price - Varidesk is usually towards the top of the price range among competitor products. We've found converters that are less, without much compromise.
Best Varidesk Alternatives
We understand that every person and their standing desk preferences are different, so we'll give you options in a variety of different categories:
- Great alternative if Varidesk design isn't a good match for you
- Only converter we've seen with a visually interesting bamboo top and keyboard tray
- Proven x-shape design that allows the converter to raise and lower with swinging towards you, a common criticism of Varidesk converters.
- 35lbs weight capacity
- No assembly required
- Powder coated steel frame
“Best Electric Alternative”
- Least expensive and highest rated electric standing desk converter
- Varidesk equivalent is around $500
- Heavy-weight capacity for a converter at 37.5 pounds
- Simple and quick assembly
- Oversized keyboard tray and deep desktop work surface
- Includes an integrated slot for your phone, tablet, or book
- Compatible with all styles of monitor mounts
“Best Ergonomics and Range of Adjustment”
- Smooth adjustment via silent gas-strut enabled Z-lift mechanism, with infinite stops for perfect height adjustment
- Has the option of tilting the keyboard to reduce wrist strain
- Includes slot for phone or tablet
- Stable even at full height
- 20 5/8″ maximum height
- Has center grommet hole for accommodating most monitor arms
- Available in black or white
- 40 lb total weight limit
- 2-year warranty
Compare Top Varidesk Alternatives
Use the table below to compare the stats of our top Varidesk alternatives. As you can see there is a range of minimum and maximum heights, as well as lift capacity, and pricing. If you're on the low or high end of the height range, choose accordingly. If you have multiple monitors or heavier computing equipment, consider a standing desk converter with a high lift capacity.
- Min Height (inches) - This is the measurement from the floor to the top of the converter in it's lowest possible position assuming the existing desk is 25 inches tall.
- Max Height (inches) - This is the measurement from the floor to the top of the converter in it's highest position assuming the existing desk is 25 inches tall.
- Lift Capacity (pounds) - This is the optimal maximum lift capacity of the converter as reported by the manufacturer.
- Price (usd) - This is the current price as of the last update date on this guide.
|Desk||Min Height*||Max Height*||Lift Capacity Pounds||Price
|Fancierstudio Riser Desk||30"||42.7"||30||$179|
|Vivo Electric Converter||31"||44"||45||$269|
*assumes the existing desk the converter is placed on is 25 inches tall.
Getting Started with Your Converter
Standing desk converters or risers are a great way to start standing on a budget, or to take advantage or your existing furniture. We've used converters extensively in the office and at home, and here is what we've learned:
- Select a converter with ample space for your keyboard and mouse - Many have keyboard trays that don't leave much room for the mouse. All of our top choices have room for the mouse. You'll notice that many use an Apple keyboard tray in their pictures because they're so much smaller.
- Position Your Monitor Correctly - Most of these units are for people between 5 foot 3" and 6 foot 1". If you are taller or shorter, you may want to add a monitor arm to your standing desk converter.
- Try a Standing Mat - A standing desk mat is a great accessory to help you ease into standing, and stand longer when you choose to. It helps ease pressure on your joints, back, and neck.
- Try a leaning chair or stool - a leaning chair or stool designed for a standing desk gives you an additional option between sitting and standing. It allows you to take a break from standing without putting pressure on your spine and lower back caused by sitting.
Varidesk Alternatives Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to our most frequently asked questions about Varidesk (now Vari) alternatives.
Did Varidesk change its name?
Yes, Varidesk did change their name in February 2020. The Texas-based company and one of the pioneers of the standing desk movement, changed their name to Vari.
Who are the top varidesk competitors?
The top Varidesk competitors for standing desk converts are the Cooper from Fully, the Flexispot M2B, Fancier Studio Riser Desk, Vivo ELectric Converter, and the Amazon basics converter.
What is a standing desk converter?
Standing desk converters are adjustable desks that are placed on an existing table or desk, and they can be a cost effective way to stand without getting rid of or moving your current desk.
Where can you buy a standing desk converter?
Standing desk converters are slowly becoming available in retail stores. Thes best place to find them is online through companies that specialize in standing desks.
Is standing at your desk healthy?
Standing at your desk can be a great way to break up long periods of sitting. Experts recommend mixing standing with sitting, changing positions throughout the day.