Our research is supported by our readers. We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site, but this in no ways increases the price of the products - advertiser disclosure
Vari (formerly known as Varidesk) is one of the leaders in the standing desk industry and this is one of their finest products. This desk was rated Best Overall Standing Desk by CNET and Tom's Guide in 2022.
We give a strong buy recommendation because it's extremely stable, great looking, has a great lift capacity, easy to assemble, Vari has great customer service, a solid warranty, and has several unique and beautiful tabletops to choose from (we especially like the butcher block and reclaimed wood).
Cost and Value
All sizes of their electric desk are well under $1000 and comes in 4 sizes:
It's our #1 choice for best value for a standing desk because of it's quality of design, materials used, stability, customer service, speed, controls, and construction.
Vari is one of the early standing desk manufacturers and put a lot of thought into the design, functionality, and aesthetic of this desk. It's our #1 choice for best electric standing desk for several reasons:
- It's one of the most stable desks I've ever used, partly due to the cross bar between the legs as well as the solid frame. When I'm not testing a new standing desk, I use this desk in my office, and I spend a lot more time standing than sitting. Even at the standing height, this desk is awesome.
- I have the reclaimed hardwood, and almost everyone that walks into my office makes a comment about this beautiful tabletop. The butcher block looks beautiful as well, and there's also a darkwood as well as black or white option.
- Raising and lowering the desk is smooth-the desk starts and stops smoothly (and includes an anti-collision feature), as well as 4 presets on the controls, but moves quickly.
- The tabletop is thick and has chamfered edges, so the top edge is 90 degrees, and second edge under the tabletop is at 45 degrees, which gives it a beautiful look.
- Assembly was simple and easy and took me less than 15 minutes (Varidesk claims that it will take less than 5 minutes, I must be slow!) I really like that the legs just pop into place.
- It's GreenGuard Gold Certified, which means that it's rated for low to no emissions of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). If indoor air quality is important to you and your family, this is a great feature.
- Height range is 25"-50".
- This may seem silly for me to get excited about this, but there are 2 hooks included with the desk that you can attach to the desk that you can use to hang a jacket, bag, or even guide wires through. I don't remember seeing this on other standing desks and now my jacket isn't constantly sliding off of my chair!
- 30-day free returns and U.S.-based customer service.
The only thing I don't like is the cable management tray. It's a large bucket-shaped plastic tray that attaches to the back of the desk and I just don't love the way it looks. They tray attaches by sliding it into position via metal pins on the bottom of the tabletop. You can attach and remove it easily.
Vari did a good job at keeping the wires attached to the motor hidden inside of the frame. The wires to the keypad are attached to desk with plastic holders. So you may not even need to use the tray if you don't like it.
*Note this is the view of the desk from the back side
- 60" x 30": 200lbs
- 72" x 30": 180 lbs
- 60" x 24": 200 lbs
- 48" x 30": 220 lbs
Shipping, Warranty, & Customer Service
Recommendation: Strong Buy
We test a lot of standing desks, and most desks we return or give away. But this desk I kept for my home office.
If the look is important to you, the tabletop is beautiful and it's rare to have the option of reclaimed hardwood or butcher block for the tabletop (and there's also darkwood, black, and white available).
The desk is extremely stable and functions like a desk that's much more expensive. It's not a surprise that this desk has a 4.8 stars on amazon.