Varidesk is one of the leaders in the standing desk industry and this is one of their finest products. We give a strong buy recommendation because it's extremely stable, great looking, has a great lift capacity, easy to assemble, and has several unique and beautiful tabletops to choose from.
I didn't think I would like this desk because I had tested the ProDesk 60 a couple of years ago and I really didn't like it. It adjusts manually via paddles on the sides, the same way that their converters do, but the manual ProDesk was hard to adjust. The paddles work with the converters I imagine because they're so much smaller and weigh less, whereas the original manual ProDesk is much heavier and much larger.
I didn't like the feel of the tabletop, and I thought it was ugly. It seemed to me that Varidesk tried to take their standing desk converter, of which there are many models and have been extremely successful, and turn it into a standing desk, and it didn't work.
Standing desk converter
ProDesk 60" Standing Desk
The ProDesk Electric is a completely different story. I can tell that they put a lot of thought into the design, functionality, and aesthetic of this desk. Varidesk has a lot of of upcoming competition in the standing desk market and it's nice to see that they haven't gotten lazy.
Lots of Pros
I love this desk for several reasons:
- It's one of the most stable desks I've ever used, partly due to the cross bar between the legs as well as the solid frame. When I'm not testing a new standing desk, I use this desk in my office, and I spend a lot more time standing than sitting. Even at the standing height, this desk is awesome. In my opinion, anyone who criticizes this desk's stability is nitpicking or is biased.
- I have the reclaimed hardwood, and almost everyone that walks into my office makes a comment about this beautiful tabletop. The butcher block looks beautiful as well, and there's also a darkwood as well as black or white option.
- Raising and lowering the desk is smooth-the desk starts and stops smoothly, but moves quickly.
- The tabletop is thick and has chamfered edges, so the top edge is 90 degrees, and second edge under the tabletop is at 45 degrees, which gives it a beautiful look.
- Assembly was simple and easy and took me less than 15 minutes (Varidesk claims that it will take less than 5 minutes, I must be slow!) I really like that the legs just pop into place.
- It's GreenGuard Gold Certified, which means that it's rated for low to no emissions of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). If indoor air quality is important to you and your family, this is a great feature.
- This may seem silly for me to get excited about this, but there are 2 hooksincluded with the desk that you can attach to the desk that you can use to hang a jacket, bag, or even guide wires through. I don't remember seeing this on other standing desks and now my jacket isn't constantly sliding off of my chair!
The Only Con
I'm really nitpicking here. The only thing I don't like is the cable management tray. It's kind of a large bucket and I just don't like the way it looks.
They tray attaches by sliding it into position via metal pins on the bottom of the tabletop. You can attach and remove it easily.
Varidesk did a good job at keeping the wires attached to the motor hidden inside of the frame. The wires to the keypad are attached to desk with plastic holders. So you may not even need to use the tray if you don't like it.
- The 60" will support up to 250 lbs, and the 48" up to 200 lbs.
- The height range is 25.5"-50.5" and both the 48" and the 60" are 30" wide.
- The keypad has 3 memory presets and a LED display that powers off when you're not using it.
Shipping, Warranty, & Customer Service
The ProDesk Electric ships for free and they do free returns. The warranty is 5 years on the tabletop, motor, electric parts, and frame. I have personally dealt with Varidesk many times with orders, returns, as well as product questions, and they are top-notch.
Recommendation: Strong Buy
We test a lot of standing desks, and most desks we return or give away. But this desk I kept for my home office.
If the look is important to you, the tabletop is beautiful and it's rare to have the option of reclaimed hardwood or butcher block for the tabletop (and there's also darkwood, black, and white available).
The desk is extremely stable and functions like a desk that's much more expensive. It's not a surprise that the ProDesk has a 5 star reason on amazon.
Startstanding.org is supported by it’s readers. If you purchase any products from this page, our educational website will receive a small commission from the Amazon.com and/or other affiliate programs, which will help cover our costs, and doesn’t affect your price.